Hot Milk Cake recipe
This is one of the easier cake recipes that I've found, and probably one of the most versatile, too.
The basic recipe calls for:
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat milk in small pan until just boiling
3. Put eggs into your mixing bowl and whisk until frothy
4. Add sugar and vanilla into eggs, whisk some more until incorporated.
5. Add milk to egg mixture in thin stream, whisking as you go.
6. Whisk in baking powder and flour.
7. When flour is just fully incorporated into batter, pour into your choice of baking vessel, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cake springs back when you press on it.
I've also been known to reduce the milk to 3/4 of a cup and add 1/4 cup of coconut milk and/or rum to the mix. If anyone saw the poll on my journal, this is the cake I'm using for the pina colada trifle.
The cake is dense and spongy and goes well with whatever topping you'd like, but it's especially tasty with a choclate buttercream.